Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Scream58
Senior Contributor

Grief

My Dad died in July 2023 and multiple complications have delayed his funeral. He was cremated in Western Australia and his ashes are now in Tasmania for his funeral/memorial this week. 

I am dreading the service as my brother and sisters consider I'm a waste of oxygen. One of my brothers has decided not to attend and there is considerable b!tching about that. I'm kinda jealous of him for being brave enough to say no. My son and granddaughter will be there to support me but I am still terrified at the thought of being in close proximity to my siblings. They consider my PTSD and mental illness is a choice which I can reverse IF I choose to.

18 REPLIES 18
tyme
Community Lead

Re: Grief

Hey there @Scream58 ,

Know you are not alone in feeling this way. 

I think what may be helpful to remember is that you are there for your father. You are not there for your siblings or anyone else. Is that fair to say?

What do you think you can do to help you through the memorial?

We're here if you need a chat.

ArraDreaming
Senior Contributor

Hi @Scream58 I’m really sorry your dad passed away and then add in the family challenges…. can relate, both of my parents have passed and organising my mums funeral and clearing out her house etc was almost all up to me despite being one of many many kids most of us who are adults!
I did everything.
I understand you are contending with grief and mental health, I hope the supports you do have for the day will be helpful for you, sitting in a different area with them might help you focus on why you are there

Scream58
Senior Contributor

I commented in the family group chat today and offered assistance since I have connections in the town where the funeral is happening. My Sister (the executor) took up my offer to assist with the organisation. This pleases me as my previous life was in administration and event organisation. I have a project!

At least that's something to keep you busy. @Scream58 

We are hanging out over here tonight if you want to join. JOIN US! Live Sunday Hangout 7-8:30pm AEST 

Scream58
Senior Contributor

Not sure how to join!!

My bad. Follow this link, then register for an account https://client.chatwee.com/popout/5fe12dcb78c130638b151232

You can then click back on the link and you will be in 🙂 @Scream58 

Scream58
Senior Contributor

Doesn't work, I just get a blank screen.

Try this screen https://www.sane.org/peer-support/peer-group-chat

Then press "Accept" when you scroll down.

For you @Scream58 

Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 7.43.35 PM.png

Scream58
Senior Contributor

WHERE!!!
I give up !
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Donate Now

ARAFMI is a not for profit organisation.  If you would like to support us please donate here