Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

AlexisJade
Casual Contributor

Doctors and medication

Hi there, just feel the need to share, and hoping that might make things feel less intense. I just got back from the doctors and I feel terrible. I went to get a covid booster but my blood pressure was through the roof because I get so worked up about going to the doctors. Does anyone else get worked up about going to the doctors?

I've been stable mentally/emotionally for about 20 years ever since a massive depressive episode in my late teens, and I've been on the same medication since then, but I've had to change around GPs because I've moved for work/family, and it just takes so much out of me trying to build the trust again with doctors. I worry they'll take away my medication and I think this makes my blood pressure go up, I don't know. I feel so silly and embarrassed because I make what should be easy so hard. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Doctors and medication

Welcome to the forum @AlexisJade . I hope you find this to be a friendly, supportive space as I have. I sometimes get myself into panic mode going to the Dr's too. It can be hard when we think of all the things they might notice about us. I'm sure once you feel settled with a permanent Dr it will be easier for you.

Take care.

Hello  @AlexisJade 

welcome to the forum

there is a well documented “white coat hypertension syndrome “

you are not alone

i had it.

a caring doctor tries to relax you and get to know you… and takes extra readings 

take care

Apple 

Thanks @Eve7 I appreciate your thoughtful response. 

Thanks @Appleblossom I have heard of it, but I'll look into it a bit more. Hate to think other people are suffering but also nice to know I'm not alone. Thanks for your response. 🙂

Hi @AlexisJade 

You are definitely not alone.  As @Appleblossom mentioned “white coat hypertension syndrome" is a real thing and I can totally relate to how you feel about going to the Dr. This also happens to me for other medical things, like scans, blood tests etc.

I've moved around the country a bit and found it really tiring having to explain your history to a different doctor each time.  The blood pressure thing can be quite concerning to them at first, but when you explain I think they are more understanding and accommodating.  I usually have to lay down for a bit before I have my blood pressure taken! 

My husband also has the same issue, and his doctor has asked him to take blood pressure readings at home for a few weeks before his next appointment so they can have a more accurate understanding of how his blood pressure is under normal circumstances.

Warm regards

SkySeeker22

Hi @AlexisJade 

Good to meet you and "white coat syndrome" is a fact as I go through it each and every time i see my GP.  I have high BP which is generally 140/95 even being on medication, but it goes through the roof at 205/127  when I see my GP.  So we end up having a chat and he tries to distract me when he tries to get a normal BP from me.  I have a portable BP unit at home to take BP at less stressy times.

So what you experience is very normal from 1 HBP person to another.

Look after yourself   🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Donate Now

ARAFMI is a not for profit organisation.  If you would like to support us please donate here